Tuesday, February 01, 2005

AmigoPix: A different kind of photo gallery

Like many people, I take lots of pictures with my digitial camera and want to share them with friends. The obvious solution is to post them on a web site and send the link out to everyone.

Things get interesting when you consider that I have >10,000 pictures (>10G). Sure, Gallery is nice (and has lots of cool features), but it imports all your pictures into its own database. I really don't like that.

The next point to consider is that I like to use browse my pictures more quickly than via the web (and full screen). Normally, I use ACDSee for this and just roll the mouse wheel for next/prev. If I were to publish all my photos on a web site, I'd have two sets of photos to keep synchronized... what a pain.

My solution: serve the photo gallery from my home web server (I can also map a drive letter for easy viewing). Having evaluated several packages, I found that I like Singapore which has a very nice look when browsing. But I wanted to add features and I don't know PHP. So I started my own project.

In October of 2004, I began coding a simple gallery app in Perl. By the end of the first weekend, I had it up and running on my web site. Since then, I've been working hard to add many new features and it's coming along nicely.

I'll post more as things progress.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! Josh has a blog!

Now you just need an RSS feed so we can syndicate your blog in LJ, so we'll automatically see when you post. :)

--Lisa

2/01/2005 8:46 PM  
Blogger The Amigo said...

It's still all new to me, but I think I have it setup now (should work for RSS or Atom).

2/02/2005 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it will work...you're syndicated now, and we can add you to our 'Friends' lists. Your first post isn't showing up yet, but I'm not sure whether that's because LJ hasn't gone out and checked yet, or because there's been nothing new since I created the syndication. In any case, as soon as something shows up, I'll tell Rick & Lucian about it.

WRT your post...you should have a link to your existing gallery so we can watch as it progresses. :D

2/02/2005 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Works now. :)

--L

2/02/2005 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home