Friday, March 18, 2005

Preventing Deep Linking

It happens every now and then that some corporate website claims in their terms of service that nobody is allowed to link to anything other than their home page. This is obviously ridiculous and they will generally be mocked for claiming such a statement.

The general principal is that having a link to another site doesn't violate any copyright since you're not copying their content, just pointing to it.

Well, what if you could prevent that?

Suppose I make a directory on my web server that has such a long path that I can claim copyright on the directory name. That would mean that in order to link to anything within that directory, another site would have to reference the copyrighted text of my directory name. By doing that, I might be able to legally (but not technically) prevent people from linking to something like:

www.example.com/Roses are red, violets are blue, this is my content, it's not for you! (C) 2005 The Amigo/content.html

I don't have any personal need to try something crazy like that, but it just may work... thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home