Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Logitech MX1000 mouse locking problem solved

So here's a problem that many people have posted about: "My mouse keeps locking up". The first thing to clear up is that there isn't a single solution to this problem.

Some people have found that they have a loose wire in their cord (mine is cordless).
Others have found viruses on their computer (mine's clean).

My setup: WinXP+SP2, using a Logitech MX1000 mouse. I really like the mouse, although I wish the drivers were more flexible. I'd like to customize what the thumb buttons do to be different based on which application has the focus. AutoHotKey goes a long way toward helping.

Anyway, after about 2 years of working great, it started locking up. Whenever it would happen, I'd have to turn the mouse upside down, flip the switch off, then back on. It didn't require re-syncing with the base station. Sometimes it would go for 2 days without locking, other times it would happen only 30 seconds apart. It was very frustrating.

When I started paying closer attention, I found that it would happen more often while moving faster, and more often when dragging windows from the right monitor to the left. But not all the time. Eventually I figured out that it wasn't where on the screen the mouse was moving, but somewhat related to that, it was dependent on where on the mousepad I was moving the mouse!

Having used the same mousepad for almost 2 years, there's a spot that's lost its texture and become smooth. If I move the mouse too fast over that spot, the mouse will lock... every time.

The solution was simple, yet totally unexpected: replace the mousepad! Since then, it's been working perfectly without locking at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home