Sunday, April 03, 2005

Carputer progress

I've been concerned that since I'm not using a machine designed for low power that I might be drawing an excessive amount.

A few days ago, a coworker and I went to my car at lunch and measured the power usage for my carputer. Measuring the inverter, GPS and carputer all at once, the draw is 5.5A @ 12.5V (with the car off). So that's about 70W.

Good news. Now I know I'm in the right ballpark so I went ahead and ordered a 90W power supply. It's one that's specifically designed for running an ATX computer in a car so it's going to eliminate the need for the inverter (should draw less power just by being more efficient). It's also smart about turning off the PC: when the car is turned off, it will tell the PC to shutdown nicely. If the PC doesn't, it will cut power after a few minutes to save the car's battery.

Now I can go back to focusing on the software side. Most of the wireless software out there seems to be geared toward cracking into encrypted networks. That's not what I'm interested in. Nor do want to just drive around and make GPS-based maps of where WiFi is. I think it's far more useful to use the WiFi for internet access (shock -- yes, I actually want to use it for what it was intended). Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to connect to my home AP if it's in range and any other open AP if I'm away.

The (apparently defunct) AP Hopper util seemed like a good candidate, but it doesn't appear to like my ACX111-based card. There could be a number of reasons for this... acx drivers were written by enthusiasts and may not be complete, I may have a defective card, maybe I have the wrong firmware file. The ipw2100 in my laptop works much better so at least I have something to compare to.

The first priority is to have it recognize my home AP so I can login when it's in my garage. The first feature I plan to implement is using it as a router/NAT so I can have my home PC upload new music to my empeg while it's still in my car. I'll probably end up using OpenVPN to do it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the updates on this--I love hearing about this project!

Not to get too demanding, but pics, at an appropriate point in the project, would also be greatly appreciated. When I saw it last, it was pretty low-impact on the car's overall aesthetic. Except for the part about having to open the console between the seats just to get to the environmental controls. ;)

Your carputer has always intrigued me, especially its potential applications.

Rick

4/06/2005 3:48 PM  
Blogger The Amigo said...

I keep meaning to post some pics. Last night, I sorted through a bunch of old ones and have collected most all of them together. I'll try to get them organized and online soon.

Thanks for the encouragement!

4/06/2005 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home