Wednesday, June 15, 2005

BlueTooth Headset

On Monday, I got my BlueTooth Headset (Motorola HS820). So far, I love it!

At first you think "what's the big deal, wire/no wire, whatever". For years, I've been using a wired headset while driving. The car ritual was getting tiring
  1. take phone off hip
  2. untangle headset cord
  3. plug headset into phone
  4. clip phone back on hip
  5. put earpiece in ear
  6. clip lapel clip on (so the earpiece doesn't fall out)
It was enough that if I was going to stop somewhere on the way to work (e.g. dry cleaner's), I just wouldn't use the headset.

Well, with the BlueTooth (BT) headset, I get in the car and:
  1. press button to turn on
  2. hook headset on ear
I'll admit that it took me a while to come around to spend the money on something that was just going to save me those few steps. But now that I have, I see that there are even more benefits.

For example, while driving with a wired earpiece, it's still not so easy to use voice dialing. I have to take the phone off my hip, flip open the lid and press the voice dial button. With the BT headset, I can simply press the button on the earpiece and say the name... no need to remove the phone from its holster.

So that's all? No. I found another great use for the headset: Skype! Skype? Yes, Skype. :) I paired the BT headset with my laptop (built-in BT) and configured Skype to use "BlueTooth Audio" as the preferred device for conversations. Now I can make phone calls over the Internet without being wired to a computer... it's like having a cordless phone at home (how many people do you know who are still stuck with a corded phone?)

What about quality, features, etc?
  • Sound quality is identical to that of the phone (obviously, it can't be any better)
  • Volume is good (adjustable on the headset)
  • Mic seems good... I've asked several friends and they couldn't tell the difference
  • Uses internal, Li-Ion battery (non-replaceable)
  • Charges in about an hour
  • Uses same charger as standard Motorola cell phones
  • Very light weight (I've already forgotten I was wearing it a few times)
  • Hook flips to fit either ear

My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home