Thursday, June 16, 2005

Screen captures

Ever since Windows 95, the PrintScreen key will take a screen capture by default. The only catch is that it's not obvious to the average user how it works. "Hey, I pressed PrntScr and nothing happened!" Well, as most of you already know, the screen capture is silently stored in the clipboard.

My typical screen capture routine is:
  1. Press PrntScr
  2. Win-R -> pbrush to launch Paint
  3. Ctrl-V to paste into Paint (as of WinXP, it auto-enlarges the canvas without asking)
  4. Alt-F4 to quit
  5. y (yes to save before quit)
  6. Enter a file name
  7. TAB -> P (to save as PNG)
  8. Enter (save the file and quit)
I've gotten pretty quick at it, but when you want to take several screen shots in a row, it's time to find a better way. Today I finally got around to searching and I found a better way.

I found a slick tool called Screen Print 32. It's just what I've been looking for. After a quick install it runs and I go through its setup screen to pick the options I want:
  • Capture Full Desktop or Active Window (just like Windows default behavior)
  • Capture Key: Prt-Scr (just like Windows default behavior)
  • Load at Startup: Yes
  • Enable Printing: No
  • Save Captured Area to Disk: Yes
  • Filename: Capture [rdate] [time]
  • File Format: PNG
  • Folder: \My Documents\My Pictures\Screen Captures
Now the aforementioned eight-step process is down to a single keypress. I simply press the PrntScr key and it pops up a small note to tell me that it's captured the screen (goes away in a couple seconds). Looking in my Screen Captures folder, I can see the .PNG files showing up every time I press PrntScr. I'm happy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashwin said...

I don't do much screenshots. But, Paint! No way! ;-) I always use Irfanview.

6/17/2005 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use screenshots quite often and I found ScreenPrint32 to be quite effective. Thanks Amigo, Dasher.

6/30/2005 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just tried this out today, very useful! Now, if I can just convince the dept to purchase it so that they don't come hollering at me for having unauthorized software on my PC....

--Lisa

7/01/2005 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home